Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My experience with the PS2 Data Read Error
Kosh K95x
post Mar 1 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Desperado

Group: Life
Member No.: 37

I'd noticed by PS2 had problems playing certain CDs. It was fairly consistent. CDs that it could play, it would never have problems. Other CDs it couldn't play consistently caused the PS2 to make this click-click-screetch sound while it tried to read the disc.

Well, no biggie, I thought. I don't need it to be my CD player. Then after playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for about a week, my PS2 started to exhibit the same behavior when I popped in MvC2. After several minutes of grinding and screeching, it would report a Disc Read Error.

After doing a couple searches on the Internet and the Usenet for "PS2 Disc Read Error", I was quite surprised. This seems to be such a common error that it's prompted the writing of several FAQs and even a class action lawsuit against Sony. If you own a North American PS2, you might want to do this research yourself. From what I've read, it's not common with PS2 units made for the Japanese market, but is very common over in North America (US and Canada).

I tried several things mentioned in the FAQs written specifically to address this Disc Read Error. I tried vacuuming the unit. I tried opening it up and cleaning the lens. I even toyed around with recalibrating the laser voltage, but I couldn't quite figure out the instructions to do that.

I was about to give up, having exhausted all but 1 option which didn't require buying a new PS2 or sending mine off to get "professional" treatment. That's when I noticed that MvC2 had a blue tint to the bottom of the disc, rather than the typical silver. I slipped it into the CD-ROM drive of my PC, and sure enough, the PC recognized it. It seems MvC2 uses CD for its media, rather than DVD. I slapped 4 pieces of scotch tape around the ring of the the bottom of the MvC2 CD. And bingo! It works! It seems that the rubber ring that mounts the disc has been affected by dust build up, and the tape helps the PS2 to get a better grip on the disc.

Well, if any of you ever have this problem with your PS2, keep my experiences in mind.

--------------------
- Kosh K95x
"That's because it's so full of mercy!" - Nicholas D. Wolfwood
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrashWire
post Mar 12 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #2

Jedi Sentinel
Group Icon

Group: One
Member No.: 1

Wow, I missed this topic... need to implement a better read/unread system here.

The PS2 uses a single laser diode for both CD and DVD games, and it is often said that CD games wear out the diode faster or something, or that it just emits weaker infra red rays after time. DVDs tend to be easier on the diode.

I'm surprised your method even works at all, since the scotch tape might unbalance the disc in such a way that reading it would be impossible. Still, good one there. One thing good about modded PS2s is that I can just reburn my game if the disc is scratched or something. biggrin.gif

--------------------
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 06:48 AM