Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Events, Please, We need more player-run events
BSR Andrea
post Sep 11 2003, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Blue Sky Red Design

Group: Life
Member No.: 113

With Solo Slaughter and DDD taking a powder, the event schedule is looking very, very bare. CXCC and BSRD can't run all of the events, we need your help.

People will play if you give them any excuse to do so. Seriously. With the new Breakpoint cards, there are many new options and when people are given an excuse to try them out, they will.

Running an event is pretty simple. And here is how I propose to get new people to run events: Charge 1 CX Coin to enter, and give 4 to the winner and 2 to second place. You get to keep the remaining 2 (assuming an 8-player event).

1 CX Coin isn't much at all, but it is SOMETHING. I would hazard a guess that people would be that much more interested.

Heck, instead of taking coins, you could take rares / very rares of your choosing and give coins away.

Events run frequently and consistently get prize support from BSRD.

Any takers?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob Van Tirpak
post Sep 11 2003, 06:29 AM
Post #2

Big Kid

Member No.: 66

sounds cool Andrea but some people (like me) don't have the Rares/Very Rares or Coins to affoid entry. If we charge then wouldn't that make it that we're saying "I got nothing so your paying into your prize" I say it may be a good idea but let's see what comes out first.

Signed

Chris Tirpak

--------------------
Have a Nice Day

+Quote Post
SideshowJoel
post Sep 11 2003, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Nearing Adolescence

Member No.: 192

Just a thought, and it would probably make sense to impose this after the new ranking system comes out. It also assumes some administrative functions being available.
Here is the thought.
Every month, if you play in a rank game against a minimum of 10 people, you get some sort of promo (could be as simple as 1 CX coin).
If you play against 20 or more people, you get 2 CX coins (or a different, better promo).
Also, you could have subcategories for "Act I" games and "Act II" and "Open" games as well.
Perhaps you could raise the stakes if you actually beat 10 (or 20 or however many) people in a given month.
I think this would encourage more casual play, since even the core parkers will come out and play if it means getting a promo.
- Joel

+Quote Post
Rigel6
post Sep 11 2003, 06:47 AM
Post #4

Desperado

Member No.: 38

Give a Promo for playing rank games....bleh. People will play if theres a tourney, simple as that. I would gladly run tournaments after I get moved into my new place in October. Winter is coming up here and I will be spending alot of time online...

Rigel64

--------------------
Rigel likes skinney girls, but he never turns down a fatty!

+Quote Post
NoWearMan
post Sep 11 2003, 07:09 AM
Post #5

Nearing Adolescence

Member No.: 135

I think what Joel is doing, if I took the time and read his post correctly, is trying to come up with a way for people to gain coins for use in playing in coin ante tourneys.

i remember when they used to give a booster away every week(?) at random from the pool of ranked players. i personally think there should be incentive to play ranked...not for me, i'd do it anyway, but for the pussies that refuse to play ranked...but thats a whole different issue altogether.

ante tourneys are a great idea, and i plan on running some soon. however, given my recent experience(s) with trying this, it will most likely be by invite only in a locked room. hopefully theres enough skilled players willing to put their money where their lame ass parking mouth is.

+Quote Post
Madripoor
post Sep 11 2003, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Big Kid

Member No.: 106

An invite only set number entering into a tourney would be cool. Say 8 player tourneys set up, with each player throwing some cards into the pot and winner take all. Set it so its for players of the same level based on their rank. I would definately play if its a low number and won't drag on too long.

I know some will say that this would mean that certain players wouldn't get to play in these, but all those players have to do is organise their own 8 player tourney.

Thats my two cents, if anyone is interested in a 8 player tourney let me know and I will help organise and definately play....

Madripoor

--------------------
"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the baseball bat of the owner"

+Quote Post
Josh
post Sep 11 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #7

Forum Moron

Member No.: 18

I will sponcer events off my Judge as long as you e-mail me a few days before the event. you can always reach me a [email protected]

+Quote Post
Cmdr Raptor
post Sep 11 2003, 07:48 PM
Post #8

Evil Corporate CEO

Member No.: 46

I got a tourneyforamat I ran once, and with some tweaking, it could make it a regular event. But I'd need sponsoring. The format is at

http://web.hibo.no/~werner/ultimatecorp/

Anyone intrested?

--------------------
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

+Quote Post
Kosh K95x
post Sep 12 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #9

Desperado

Member No.: 37

Andrea, are you primarily looking for new regularly planned tourneys to help fill the void left behind by the passing of SS and DDD? Or are impromptus also being encouraged?

I'm toying with a tourney format that I might take for a test run of about 4 weeks. Hopefully, I can actually commit to running it at a regular time slot.

As an aside, how often are new CX Coins making it into circulation? Aside from those CX Coins which are getting purchased either through coin packs or sealed accounts, are many CX Coins making it into circulation via tourney prizes and such? If the tourney host could rely on getting CX Coins back as entry fees, it could prove to be an interesting way of replenishing their stock of tourney prizes. They could build up their coin collection until they get 61 coins, and then cash those in for a Booster Box, which can in turn be used for future prizes.

--------------------
- Kosh K95x
"That's because it's so full of mercy!" - Nicholas D. Wolfwood

+Quote Post
Ryan R TAA
post Sep 13 2003, 06:29 AM
Post #10

Lil' Kid

Member No.: 151

If I didnt have school, Id run Coin Ante every Monday at 1700.

--------------------
<The Slayer in the Shadows>

+Quote Post
RemyZero
post Sep 19 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #11

Rug Rat

Member No.: 207

Gotta say I'm fully with the admin on the idea. The person who runs the event is allowed to get a little something for the time, effort, and aggravation. People who won't/can't pay an ante or entry fee simply need not join. Most of the the events are free to enter, and there's room for variety. I personally enjoy events where there's a little something extra at stake. Personally, I'm not a big fan of coins, but it's a valid way to go and the host could always make it a cards or something else.

Personally, anything that promotes more play and interest is a good thing. Variety gives a little something for everyone and broadens the experience for everyone. I think some of the people who have been here forever forget there are a few new faces. It might be good to have some sort of low stakes event/break in point for the events for more advanced players.

I digress. It's important to have something for everyone. Maybe we should also think of ways to do this that would encourage new players as well. New blood is extremely important for the survival of our game.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled ranting... smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2020 - 10:41 AM